Child Support

1511 Ketcher Street, Building C Tahlequah, OK 74464

Information for parents relating to COVID-19 located in the public notices section.

Frequently Asked Questions

Below you will find some answers to common questions we get asked.

Frequently Asked Questions

What information is needed to collect child support?

The most important piece of information about the noncustodial parent is his or her:

  • Social Security number
  • Date of birth
  • Address
  • Name of employer
  • Names and contact Information for relatives and friends who may have information on the non-custodial parent's current whereabouts

How much child support will be ordered?

Child support in Oklahoma is ordered using the gross income from both parents and is inserted into a calculation, the Child Support Guidelines and computed to determine the monthly obligation.

Where do I send Child Support payments?

Payments should be sent to the appropriate address below. For further information, please visit the "How to: Make a Payment" page.

What can I do to get my support amount modified if I think it is too low or too high?

You can submit a written request for modification to your case worker.

Do I need to tell CN OCSS when I move?

Yes. If CN OCSS does not have the proper address for you, information such as notification letters, debit cards, child support payments, information, and court hearing notices cannot be sent to you.

If the other parent may cause me or the child physical or emotional harm if my address is disclosed, or if I have a protective order against the other parent, what should I do?

Contact your case worker and request a Family Violence - Address of Record Statement. You will need to provide an Address of Record which is a public address where legal and other official papers may be mailed. This address may be a post office box. This Address of Record may be given to the other parent or party, but your home address will not be released once the Family Violence Non-Disclosure Statement has been turned in.

What if I am in the military and called to active duty?

If you have been called to active duty, please notify Cherokee Nation Child  Support Services to report the change in address and/or employment status by calling 1-866-244-5346 to (918) 453-5444 For further information, please read our Information for Recently activated military personnel.